Saturday, October 27, 2012

The (Anti-)Solo Traveler Diaries (Visayas Edition): The Maravilla House

First and foremost, sorry for my non-update of posts for a few days. I figured out that I should take a break from the series for a day or so, to have the 'thrill' of waiting for the next post.

Anyway, back to the topic...

I really find Mrs. Maravilla's house fascinating. Not because of its design, but more because of how it is made.



The Maravilla House entrance
Another view...
It's because nearly 80% of the materials are sourced around the lot where the house is located. I'm talking about mahogany, a hardwood commonly used as building material, and was once used as electric posts before cement posts were developed.

I've mentioned before that the road leading to the house was surrounded by mahogany trees. Guess what -- the wood used in the house came from that place. Not to worry, though, the family developed the land as a land to cultivate trees (such as mahogany) and plants such as euphorbia and coffee.

Using the wood sourced from their 'farm' saves them money for building the house. *kaching!*

Another fascinating thing about the house, or more specifically the land surrounding it. As I have mentioned, it is planted with trees and crops such as coffee.

Speaking of coffee plant, I gotta admit that I'm a huge coffee fan. That is why I'm so amazed upon seeing a coffee plant. I'm even more awed upon the taste of coffee which was sourced from the plants growing all over the place.

The coffee flower...
That grows into a fruit...
Which ripens until it becomes ready for picking...

Too bad we're not here for long. We have to go back to reality. And for me, it's another year to spend my life living.


The coffee lined road
Too bad the vehicle that will take us to the bus station got ruined...

Bonus: guess what plant this is. Clue: it can be smoky...


No comments:

Post a Comment