Tuesday, November 15, 2016

[REVIEW] Kryolan TV Paint Stick aka The Foundation That Survived the Morning Rush Hour

Hiya, guys!

Today I'm doing a review on the Kryolan TV Paint Stick in shade LO.


From the Kryolan official website:

Successfully proven cream make-up in stick form. The special base of TV Paint Stick allows gentle make-up application that provides effective covering at the same time. The Kryolan assortment of more than 250 color nuances for selection is truly extraordinary - which makes this preparation indispensable for stage, film, TV, video work and more.

God knows how long I've been looking for a foundation that would last a really long time on me, because other foundations that I've tried so far would melt on me after only a few hours and an intense combination of sebum (oil) and sweat. This is even after putting on a little bit of primer. In Tagalog, madaling mahulas ang foundation sa akin. So I figured, maybe a heavy-duty makeup would do for my case.

A short story about this product: I've been hearing about Kryolan through Martha of The Beauty Junkee. Martha, who was a Theater Arts student prior to her career as a beauty blogger, personally swears by Kryolan for her stage makeup. She even has a post dedicated to the different kinds of Kryolan foundations, which includes recommendations for products that are suited for everyday use. One of those products was the TV Paint Stick.

Ever since reading that post sometime in 2012, I've been lemming about buying my own TV Paint Stick. It took me a long time before finally biting the bullet and purchasing one for myself.


I picked up the shade LO, which is quite a good match for my current skin tone -- medium with yellow undertones. There are over 250 shades available in this range according to the website, but I'm not sure how many are available in the Philippines.


More details when you click 'Read More'




As the website description suggests, it's a cream foundation in stick form, which is an ideal format for an application with minimum to no mess. I also love that the stick is quite wide that it covers a bigger area when applying. Combined with a full coverage, this means you only need a few swipes to get by your foundation application. Translation: a little goes a long way, and the product will last you a looooonnngggg time.

Hand swatch
L: Fashion 21 Stick Foundation in Almond
R: Kryolan TV Paint Stick in LO
When applied, it does not feel like you have anything on your face, unlike other full coverage foundations which feels heavy or sticky or both, either when applied or after a few hours. However, it does not improve the texture of your skin, as you can see in the close-up photos -- the acne scars and bumps are still visible in close-up.

Also, the stick tends to drag the skin when applied, which can be bothering for some. It's best to prep your face well prior to application, which means applying moisturizer or primer as the case may be, so that the product glides smoothly when applied.

One thin layer of the TV Paint Stick all over the face, set with Maybelline Clear Smooth All-in-One Powder Foundation
Time check: 8AM 
Close up photo. The bumps and hollows are still obvious here.
On the first day of trying out this foundation, I did not sweat or oil up as much, but I do tend to touch my face often (bad habit, I know). After around seven hours, the foundation is still there, but then it's starting to fade because the dark spots on the under-eye and cheek areas are beginning to show.

Time check: 3PM
Now, for the ultimate test: I wore the foundation at the start of the day. The day I did this, I was doing a brief field work -- that means commute from the office to the field and back to the office. I took the bus on the way to the field, that is why I was able to take a start-of-day photo using the foundation.

Take note that I did the same thing as in the first day -- one thin layer all over the face, and setting with a powder foundation. However, I added an extra layer on the under-eye and cheek area for extra coverage. This is also a way of testing out how it will work when done in more than one layer.

Time check: 7AM

I went back to the office via MRT, and a jam-packed one at that. Even though the train that I rode was north-bound (Taft to North Ave.) and it was quite close to lunchtime, the train cars are all packed with commuters. Commuter girls, I'm sure you know exactly what happens inside a jam-packed train, right? #mandirigma

And so here's the photo of me upon getting back to the office after the field work and that gruesome MRT ride.

Time check: 12:30PM
Wow, minimal fading! The extra layer on spots did work!

I took this photo after blotting the oil on my forehead and nose area -- apparently, oil control is not quite good but I don't mind that so long as the foundation stays intact. Another issue that I have is that it transfers even with just blotting. A solution to that is to get yourself some heavy-duty setting spray so that your makeup lasts until you take it off.

Overall, just surviving the morning rush hour with the makeup still (almost) intact is enough proof that Kryolan TV Paint Stick is good enough to be categorized as "commuter girl's makeup essentials."

And hey, watch my video review of TV Paint Stick down here!


No comments:

Post a Comment