Thursday, February 13, 2014

#ThrowbackThursday: Recreating Mulan

I ended my stint at a major TV network during our department's Halloween party-cum-trick or treat for the employees' younger relatives. Almost everyone are looking forward for this day, as it allows them to unleash their creative side, at least for a day.

Our group's theme is Disney, and so we dressed up as any Disney character for a day. I chose Mulan because, besides being my personal favorite character, she was one of those characters that is quite a challenge to pull off. And I love challenges...

And I did challenge myself. I sew my own costume and did my own hair and makeup.

The result? Here are the photos that I grabbed from my officemates:

'Mulan' and 'Snow White'
 More photos and how I did my makeup when you click 'Read More'


'Merida' of Brave and 'Mulan' (here my makeup is slowly melting...)

Self-portrait... Makeup is still there, but most of the white makeup has died down...
Of course I did not do all this on my own -- I had a little help from the Internet, especially Michelle Phan's Mulan makeup tutorial.



Looking back, I did a great job pulling this thing off, but I still think I could have done better. First off, I could have sewn my costume better -- I hand-sewn this whole thing for two and a half weeks, as I do not know how to do it with a sewing machine and I definitely don't have that much budget to have my costume sewn. 

Second, I could have improved the makeup -- I should have put on some primer or more face paint so that the white color lasted longer. (Why I used face paint? Watch the YouTube video above.) I could have also extended my eyeliner way past the outer part of my eyes.

But dressing up is fun! Though I may not go as hardcore as becoming a cosplayer, I'd like to grab any opportunity that I could get to dress up as my favorite character. Do you feel the same way, too? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment