Tuesday, March 18, 2014

All About Thigh Chafing (And An Unusual Way To Prevent It)

Hiya, guys!

I have a question for you: what's that one clothing item you have but you hate to wear?

photo credit here
Mine would probably be skirts and dresses, because every time I wear them, my thighs would rub vigorously every time I walk. And this chafing in my inner thighs (otherwise known in the plus-size fashion blogging world as chub rub) would be very painful at the end of the day, that afterwards I would swear not to wear skirts and dresses ever again.

But then I like -- no, I LOVE -- the look of skirts and dresses on me. It makes me more feminine-looking and it gives me that much-needed break from the masculine look of pants and jeans.

I believe that this problem with chafing inner thighs affect nearly every woman who has no thigh gap, and particularly those with bigger thighs like me. And because trying to achieve that thigh gap is not an option for me (because it's not possible, at least for me), I have to find ways to enjoy skirts and dresses without cursing them later in the day.

Discover more of my journey towards a stress-free skirt and/or dress day when you click 'Read More.'


photo credit here
Apparently, there are many ways to ease the inner thigh chafing when wearing skirts and dresses. One of them is wearing spandex shorts, mid-thigh or otherwise, underneath them. Mid-thigh or boy-short style shapewear is also an option.

However, some shorts are too short that it does not cover my thighs, thus exposing them to potential chafing later in the day. A few mid-thigh shorts, on the other hand, are a bit too long that it peeks through the skirt hem when raised even just a teeny bit. And that, for me, is a no-no.

photo credit here
Another option is to use baby powder spread evenly on the inside of your thighs. However, they usually don't last that long, as I still feel my thighs rubbing after a few minutes. And it would be cumbersome for me to visit the ladies' room every few minutes just to touch up with powder on my thighs.

But one day, I chanced upon this website which recommended the Monistat Soothing Care Chafing Relief Powder-Gel, which was unfortunately not widely available here in the Philippines. But scrolling down the comments section, I found a really, REALLY genius way of using an common toiletry item in an unlikely way.

Presenting: stick deodorant as chafing balm!


You heard it right, stick deodorant.

Think about it: stick deos like the one pictured above, once applied, leaves a smooth, powdery feeling on the skin. And this surface has ingredients that prevents sweating for, like, 24 hours. So it does make sense that a product traditionally used for the underarms can prevent sweating and friction at another friction point of the body -- the inner thighs.

To road test this trick, I wore a dress one day and applied the stick deo liberally all over my inner thighs, spreading it up to the area before the knees. That was 5am. And I wore that dress all the way through 9:30pm, with walking and moving in between.

And guess what? I did not sweat on my inner thigh area, and I did not feel any burning sensation while walking. Even after 16 hours! Isn't that ah-maze-ing?

So this trick, therefore, is highly-recommended for those girls like me who HATE that inner thigh chafing that causes discomfort. Also recommended for runners who will wear shorts and will definitely sweat throughout the run, and for gym bunnies who will opt to wear shorts on one gym day.

How about you guys -- have you discovered other ways to use your toiletries? Share them in the comments box below!

3 comments:

  1. Very clever! I recently discovered after my Lay Bare full leg waxing, my thigh was so smooth that I did not feel the uneasiness on my thighs. lol. Maybe let's hunt for products, which contain sugar or honey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely going to try this. Chub rub is so painfull and skirts/dresses so lovely. But does it leave deodarant marks on the fabric? Thanks a bunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Laarni: a lot of my friends swear by waxing their legs, but because I don't grow that much hair on that area, I have not tried that trick, so lemme try if that works. :)

    @Larissa: based on my experience, stick deos don't usually leave white marks on fabrics unlike roll-on liquid-type deos. that's why I love stick deos --they don't leave you with a sticky feeling and stains on your clothes. hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete