Saturday, June 4, 2011

The Million-Peso Question

Because my work deals with legal terms most of the time (if not all the time), studying law becomes an advantage to me in understanding some stories and translating it into summaries. And at times, my officemates would ask legal-related questions, probably because they encountered it in their assigned stories. Questions like: 'What is the difference between divorce and annulment?' and 'What is inquest?' Sa Tagalog naman, 'Ano'ng ibig sabihin ng binasahan ng sakdal?'

You would think that just because I'm a law student, it is easy for me to answer these questions. Right? Partly yes. Because some questions, such as translations, are pretty easy to answer. But when I was answering the question regarding the difference of divorce from annulment, I was partly taken aback. It was easy to get carried away by explaining everything that the professor taught to us about the subject matter. The thing is, they are what you call 'commoners,' and by that I mean those who can understand things in layman's terms. Problem is, Latin terms present in legal jargon are not the kind of words you can easily translate in one or two words. You have to explain every single detail of it for them to understand, but it's just not that possible, given the short attention span that an average person has (not that I'm saying I'm above average, of course I've included myself in the definition of average person.)

That fact frustrates me. Why is it that now that I have some knowledge in law, it's hard for me to translate them in simple terms?

It brings back to mind the question asked to me by my interviewer during the interview phase of my law school admission: 'Why do you want to study law?'

I answered back then, (not the exact answer, so pardon me):

'In my line of work, (back then I said degree because I just graduated from college then, and my employment is pending at the time) I frequently encounter legal terms, which I can't fully understand. I figured out, if I can't understand them, how much more are the audience who only understand layman's terms? Now, I wanted to study law for me to understand these terms so that I could easily translate them into something that the average man could understand. It would also help me in my coverages and interviews with the lawyers and some legislators so I could ask questions to them properly and, well, fully understand what they are talking about.'

Makes sense, right?

Looking back, I think that question now is a million-peso question for me. Not only because it will determine whether I'm allowed to enroll in law school, but because it makes them know what I would be like after I pass the bar.

Okay, I admit - because I encounter them in some stories, I kinda wanted to be a lawyer-announcer, in the likes of Attys. Dong Puno and Katrina Legarda (my role model!). And let's not forget the late Atty. Rene Cayetano and his show Compañero y Compañera. For me it's like it's easy for them to explain everything in the way that the common viewer can understand. Another reason is that during my internship in Manila Bulletin, we frequently gather stories from the courts. I understand now why I answered that way in the given question. But now that I'm actually doing the same (not exactly by being a guest in a TV show or writing articles about it, though), why do I find it hard to do it the way these lawyers do?

Maybe because I still have a whole lot to learn. After all, I'm just an incoming sophomore in law school. I still have three years or so to learn everything that I have to learn to become a lawyer (including passing the bar exam). And to be like Atty. Dong and Atty. Kat takes a hell lot of experience even after passing the bar. I'm just getting started, I know - but I know I can get through this.

No comments:

Post a Comment