Friday, December 30, 2011

The 'Toy' That Revived My Passions


I've long been interested in all things fashion - from how they are made to how they are presented to fashion fans all over the world. So much that there was one point in my life that I wanted to be a fashion designer. But after discovering how the fashion industry could be a dog-eats-dog world, I decided to just settle to having it as a hobby.

Which is why I listed down on my bucket list that I wanted to design and wear an entire outfit someday.

But that 'dream' took a backseat (read: way behind) because of many things in my life; in particular, my work and my law studies. However, every so often, I look up to fashion magazines, books and websites, just to keep me updated on the latest fashion trends.

I was contented with this routine, until I saw the Project Runway activity kits at Rustan's Toy Department last week, when I accompanied BF in buying gifts for his godchildren. The kits reminded me of some of the things that I really want to do, and that is to design outfits just for the heck of it. Besides, I'm a big fan of the show, both the US and the Philippine versions. (off topic: I really hope there would be a third season of Project Runway Philippines) I promised myself to buy one of those when I get the funds to do so.

Some of the Project Runway activity kits

Turns out, I don't have to do that.

Last Monday, BF dropped by the house carrying a Rustan's paper bag with him. He said inside it was a gift for me, and I was wondering what the hell he is giving me. I mean, he have not given me a gift as big as that, so I thought he must have put a bomb or something in that box (just kidding!).

But imagine my surprise when I pulled the wrap off the box.

It's a Project Runway Lightbox Activity Kit!


Apparently, BF must have seen me going wide-eyed over the Project Runway kits back at Rustan's. However, I don't what has gotten into his mind to actually get one of these and give it to me.

This particular kit contains a battery-powered lightbox, 10 sketch films, sketch papers, 12-pc colored pencils and a design guide. This kit is the kind where you light up the lightbox, put a film over it, and trace the desired design over the paper provided.

The lightbox when lighted

Right after putting on the batteries in the lightbox, my lil' sis and I started to draw right away. BF, being a drawing junkie that he is, shares some coloring and shading tips to us. And even after BF have left to go home, lil' sis and I continued to draw more designs by, of course, tracing the patterns underneath the lightbox.

Some of the drawings that we have made upon opening the box




That night, it occurred to me, and I have said this to BF over FB chat that night: that 'toy' not only revived my passion for fashion, but I actually get to 'draw' clothes according to my liking. It makes me wanna enroll in some short course in fashion design to at least sustain my newfound hobby.

But then again, wouldn't it be much better if at least one of these drawings actually come to life? Or even better, if I could at least wear one of these? Hmmmm....


By the way, these are some of the drawings that my lil' sis and I have done to this day...

An idea for a corporate attire... Should I make the jacket a tweed one?

Winterwear (like there's such thing as winter in the Philippines)

Simple 'going out with friends' outfit... Skirt too short, should I add leggings?

The 'debutante' (read: for lil' sis's 18th birthday) outfit, with Taylor Swift as peg..

Some unfinished bag designs...

An undetailed bag and an undetailed flat shoes... Ideas, anyone?

Lil' sis's idea of a wedge shoes. With a wooden sole. 

The clutch bag which BF helped in detailing... Still lacking details in the flap though...

My idea of a bootie, which BF interpreted... Did the upper part looked like a sort of a fur?

My attempt to recreate Kermit Tesoro's heel-less shoes (Google the name to know what I'm talking about), with animal print to boot... I traced the wedge template on the paper (see third drawing from above this one), erased the heel line, 'carved' the sole and traced the whole thing with gel pen... I drew the zebra prints with the same gel pen, and I was thinking of coloring this yellow or yellow-orange to make it a tiger print...

Lil' sis's idea of a clutch bag with tassel... Didn't almost noticed the tassel because of her coloring... If only I could redo the whole coloring to make the tassel stand out from the rest of the clutch...

No comments:

Post a Comment