Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Meet the Whole Clan Part Deux (aka the In-Laws Encounter)


Day 2 (December 20)

I did not dress up that morning, because I assumed that most of the visitors later that day will be the same ones as yesterday. But before lunchtime came, two surprises came in.

First, the scrutinizing relatives will come today. When BF told me that over the phone, I could not believe it at first. 'Akala ko ba dumating na sila kahapon?' 'Eh hindi sila natuloy, kaya mamaya na lang sila pupunta.'

Oh my goodness. I should have seen that coming. After that phone call, I am already preparing myself to either go back home to freshen up or pass by the nearest department store to buy a more decent blouse.

Second, my parents telling me that they will come over to the chapel to visit. They were telling me that while I was dressing up in another set of clothes (by the way, I decided later on to go back to the house to freshen up, and use my remaining budget as fare). I did not take that seriously, until they texted me that they are now in the funeral house. But more of that a little later.

By the time I arrived at the chapel, the prayer session (padasal sa patay) is going on. I entered the chapel quietly and went along with the prayers. Once the session is through, BF introduced me to the family members who are there. Some of them remarked the same way as his cousin did yesterday (though not the same words).

And finally, BF introduced me to the scrutinizing relatives, specifically two aunts from his father's side. But while one of them became busy chatting with the other relatives in the room, the other really took time to get to know me. You know, the usual questions (how did I met BF, where do I live, do I work and where, etc.) She remarked to BF, 'Sabi mo Don mataba yung girlfriend mo. Hindi naman, ah, tama lang yung katawan niya.'

Waaaaahhhh... Thank goodness my blouse strategically covered up my bulges...

While outside the building, I saw our family vehicle fixing its way in the parking area. I told BF that my parents are already here. At the same time, I received a text message. It was my mother asking me where the wake is going on. I replied within one minute while returning to the chapel, and shortly after, they are right outside the chapel.

My mom, dad and lil' sis are there, meeting the other members of BF's family and saying their condolences. Inside the chapel, mom and dad are speaking to BF's dad and sister. BF's sister, especially, being the chatterbox that she is (just like me. Kaya kami magkasundo, eh, hahahaha!), was the one doing most of the talks to my parents. She was also lauding how beautiful my lil' sis is. Oh, how I'm so proud to be her elder sister! On the other hand, I could hear BF's dad saying 'mga balae ko' in answer to the question as to who he was speaking with earlier. Balae talaga?!

I could not believe my eyes at that scene! My parents are actually speaking to my BF's family! It was like premature 'pamamanhikan.' But after a while, I thought, kailangan ba talaga na hintayin muna ang kasal bago magkakilala ang parents ng bawat isa? Hindi naman siguro laging ganoon, 'di ba?

Anyways, it did not take that long before my family and I bid goodbye to BF and my family. At the same time, my tension was finally relieved, as I could not breathe well during that whole encounter.

I could only describe that moment in one word: 'Whew!'


photo courtesy of Pan Am official website (abc.go.com/shows/pan-am)

No comments:

Post a Comment