Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Accept or Reject?

Last Thursday, I received the news from my team leader about a job offer that's really hard to resist. I won't spill further details about that, but basically it's something that will elevate my career in the company I'm working for.

If it's any other person, or if it's any ordinary situation, I would have easily accepted the job offer. But mine is an extremely special case: as my team leader puts it, I have talent that is way beyond what is required of my current job (hindi naman sa nagbubuhat ako ng bangko, yun kasi ang pagkakasabi ng boss ko), that is why I was the first person in mind when the position became available. Problem is, I'm juggling my time between work and school, and... let's just say that the part of the job description in that vacancy is UTMOST DEDICATION towards work. That part, I think, is something that I could not guarantee that I could give once I accept the offer.

You see, I've been juggling my time between work and law school for more than two years now. It wasn't an easy trick to pull off -- you struggle to do your best while at work, and at the same time you are also expected to at least do well in school. Over the course of two years, I have done some sacrifices just to pull it all together -- I have to arrange my school schedule so I have some free days to do my reading, and I have to stick to one work shift (morning shift) throughout the entire semester.

My team leader understood my situation, that is why he allowed me to stick to one work shift for the entire semester, and he would approve my periodic leaves during exam season (so long as I notify him beforehand.) My officemates would roll their eyes in wonder on how I do all these things, and my classmates would encourage me to 'breathe' so I don't burn myself out. Yeah, there are times that I feel extremely burnt out. But some rest and diversionary tactics do the trick for me, even just temporarily.

I'm thinking about these things while thinking about whether or not to accept the job offer. It's a very tough decision to make for me, because while accepting it means career advancement, doing so also would greatly affect my studies. Rejecting the offer would mean more time to focus on law school, but I would be missing out this 'once-in-my-career' opportunity. I sought the advice of those who understood my situation, but I don't seem to solicit a clear answer from any of them. Or maybe I wasn't very attentive, probably because of unorganized thoughts in my head.

Then I suddenly remember something that my college professor told my class during a particular 'awarding ceremony' (awarding ceremony, in beki language, means 'pinagalitan nang bonggang-bongga.') Back then, she told us, 'There's no such thing as time management, there's only such thing as setting priorities.' I can't remember exactly why she said that, or even the reason why we were 'awarded' in the first place.

And I thought, maybe she was right. Time management can only go so far, because after all, doing many things all at once results to a half-baked work. And when you prioritize something, you will go out of your way to get it done, even if that means dismissing every other opportunity over that you prioritize.

So I ask, what is something in the offer that you consider? 'That's career advancement! Higher pay! Superiority! Bragging rights! (charot!)' Another question, more study time or higher pay? 'More study time!' Another question, if ever you are offered to extend your term in the workplace, would you accept it? 'Maybe yes, maybe no.' Another question, would you give up law school in favor of the job offer? 'Hell to the no!' Final question, what is your priority, law school or work? 'Law school!'

...

...

...

...

So that gives you a clue on what's my decision over the offer. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment