Sunday, October 28, 2012

The (Anti-)Solo Traveler Diaries (Visayas Edition): The Long (and Hard) Way Home


If you've been following my (Anti-)Sole Traveler Diaries series, you might be wondering in my last post why we're taking a bus on our way back to Manila instead of riding a plane like we did on our way to Bora.

This is because the Team Grade Six decided to book a one-way plane ride to Caticlan. Probably because the promo is only available for Manila-Caticlan and not on Iloilo-Manila. Or maybe they intended to forego the Caticlan-Manila ride to save money.

Whatever the reason may be, they are about to learn their lesson the hard way. Siyempre, damay na rin ako sa bad decision nila bilang kasama ako sa trip, 'di ba?

As I have mentioned before, Dingle, Iloilo is four hours from Caticlan by bus. But because I'm starting to get sleepy (my MP3 player could not help me perk up this time), I started to take pictures of the scenery from the outside of the window.







Once we're in Caticlan port, we wait for the bus driver to book the RORO (roll-on, roll-off) ship tickets for his passengers. While waiting, we decided to take our lunch at an eatery near the dock.

Note: for those who are unfamiliar with this mode of transport, most, if not all, bus trips to Visayas and Mindanao get by through the RORO ships -- ships that lets vehicles get in and out of the ship by 'rolling.' Thus, the term 'roll-on, roll-off' or RORO. This mode of transport allows buses to travel into different island destinations, albeit longer (a trip to any Visayas destination can take up to 24 hours).

Upon getting the ship tickets, off we board into the RORO, heading to Roxas, Oriental Mindoro.

We're riding up there!

Caticlan port as viewed from the ship

Onboard the ship


It was almost nightfall when we got to Roxas. I did not bother to take any more pictures from this point on, because flash photography is battery-consuming and we do not have easy access to power outlets during the entire trip (for charging batteries).

We got into the bus again for a road trip to Calapan that spans another four hours. During the trip (and even as we head to Caticlan), I was mulling my thoughts of getting down in Calapan, ride my way to Naujan, my father's hometown, stay at my grandmother's place and remain there until May. However, thinking that the idea might spell major logistical nightmare, I postponed my plans.

It's practically bed time when we get to Calapan, so it was no surprise that we have to be waken up for us to know that it's time to get off the bus again. We obliged, although we were like zombies as we walked off the bus.

Fact about me: I find it hard to fall asleep again after my sleep has been interrupted. So I remained wide awake during the entire ship ride to Batangas City, and even as we rode our way to Manila.

We got to SM Fairview (bus driver was persuaded to take us to SM Fairview instead of getting off at Cubao) at past 12am. It also marked a new day... which is also my 20th birthday! Because of that, the Team Grade Six sang 'Happy Birthday' to me before reaching our destination.

I was dog tired when mom and I got home. But I did not mind. I had a hell of a good time, and was able to do new things before I turn 20. Good enough for me. :)

=========================

So that ends the Visayas edition of The (Anti-)Solo Traveler Diaries series. On my next post, we're heading back to Luzon, to one of my favorite destinations in the Philippines. I'll give you a clue: I've mentioned that place somewhere in my Bora-Iloilo documentation. Enjoy guessing!

Oh, let me remind you that please feel free to comment in my posts for questions or anything. You may also shoot me an email at navyisthenewpink@gmail.com, like the Navy is the New Pink page on Facebook or follow me on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment