Monday, February 24, 2014

The Navy is The New Pink Rap Challenge

photo credit here
I have not subject myself to a great challenge for the longest time. The last challenge I accepted would probably be when I entered law school. The challenge is still in progress so far as you can see, but it wouldn't hurt if I get myself on challenges every once in a while.

Today's challenge involves a fast rap song. For my readers in the Philippines, I'm sure you're familiar with the song even if you're not exactly a rap fan (like I do). For my readers overseas, go get yourself a lyric sheet of the song, the title of which you'll know when you click 'Read More'.




The song: 'Bagsakan'. The singers: Parokya ni Edgar, Francis M. and Gloc 9.

For those who are uninitiated, Parokya ni Edgar (PNE) is a Filipino pop-rock band who has been around since the '90s. Since their debut in the music scene, they have released 13 albums, including one Christmas album, two lives and one compilation. They have a pretty strong following here in the Philippines and among the young members of the Filipino community overseas. In fact, you'll know that you're from a younger generation and a cool oldie if you're from an older generation if you know  a few songs from PNE.

The band has done numerous collaborations with different artists from different music genres. This song is a collaboration with two popular rap artists in the country -- the late Francis M. (M means Magalona, his surname) and Gloc 9 (real name: Aristotle Pollisco).

Francis M. is a legend in the local rap scene, and if I'm not mistaken, he is considered a pioneer of this genre in the Philippines. He passed away in 2009 due to leukemia. Gloc 9, on the other hand, is known for his fast rap and interesting play of words in the songs he write. He is also known for the songs that reflect the current situation in the country.

I have to warn you guys: this is a pretty fast-paced song, so get yourself a lyric sheet of this song (or open a browser window and search for this lyrics) and try to follow the lyrics while listening to this.

I've been hearing this song before, but it's only now that I really appreciated it -- so much that I wanted to challenge myself to do a 'flawless' cover. By 'flawless' I mean no buckle, no misheard lyrics, and with sustained consistent rap speed.

So today, I declare my acceptance to my month-long challenge: to memorize and sing 'Bagsakan' -- the entire song, as 'flawless' as I deem possible.

Please follow me in this challenge! I'll be updating over my Facebook and Twitter page using the hashtag #NITNPrapchallenge. See you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment