Monday, September 27, 2010

Are they really law students or what?

Just before my mom and I went out to attend the mass last night, I was surprised by the news that I saw on TV.

Bar exams end in riot ABS-CBN News Latest Philippine Headlines, Breaking News, Video, Analysis, Features

If I'm not mistaken, yesterday's exams were on Remedial Law and Legal Ethics.

LEGAL ETHICS.

I mean, it's an essential in every profession, especially in the practice of law. As promoters and protectors of the justice system in the country, they should set a good example to everyone, so that they will gain their prospective clients' trust, should they become lawyers.

But even if they are still law students (supposing that everyone involved in there are indeed law students), they should observe ethics, both in their profession and in their own morals. I mean, come on, they are not taking Legal Ethics subject for nothing. I understand that they got caught up with their excitement with the nearing end of the bar exams, and they want to boost the morale of the barristers inside the DLSU. But shouldn't they at least observe proper conduct, or at the very least, consider the sensibilities of the people around them? After all, they are not the only ones surrounding the bar exam venue.

And though I still have to take my Legal Ethics subject next semester (but we do have Legal Profession this semester. I'm a full-load regular student, by the way), I believe that ethics, legal or otherwise, is a very basic element of virtually any profession being practiced. There's a good reason why it is recommended that this subject is to be taken early on in legal studies - it is to inculcate to future law practitioners what is to be expected to them as lawyers, because their profession entails public trust. And trust can be lost with even just one petty mistake.

I was supposed to attend my school's bar operations yesterday, but I did not push through because I have to focus on our final exams next week. It was a good thing I did not push through with my plans, maybe because instincts have it that safety is still the first priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment