Saturday, April 23, 2011

Am I Still An Elle Woods?

'This isn't a perfect world. You think I haven't been judged my whole life? You think it wasn't a good idea to make navy my new pink?'


In my very first post in this blog, I quoted this line from Legally Blonde: The Musical, wherein Elle Woods convinces her buddy and legal colleague (and soon after, boyfriend) Emmett Forrest to tweak his looks a bit to be more situation-appropriate. 


I watched the MTV airing of this musical once again, and flashbacks of my first few months in law school comes back in my mind. I remember all of my struggles in dealing with numerous readings, recitations and exams. In particular, I have to deal with all that confusing jargon and argumentation tactics - something that I am lacking, I have to admit. I also have to deal with balancing time between my day job and my studies, especially during the time when I have to deal with monthly shift changes. 


Looking back, I really am an innocent fellow when it comes to law. But because I really want to learn, I took time to listen to lectures and read whatever readings are required, especially the basics of laws and cases. And of course, I'm really thankful to have my classmates around, where we help one another wherever one needs it. All of these make me understand the otherwise confusing world of law. 


Maybe I'm knowledgeable in law at this point, but only on a certain extent. After all, I'm just in my first year in law school. I still have three years or so to go before I graduate and take the Bar exams. And even after I pass the exams, law is continuously evolving to adapt to the demands of time. Thus, I have much more to learn. 


Probably, I'll always be an Elle Woods, in the sense that I'll never stop learning. But then, my legal knowledge will never change the things that define me as me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment