Monday, August 15, 2011

A Really Unique Professor, Indeed


I have a professor in law school who, in my opinion, is rather weird.

First, he thinks that Filipinos are "hindi magaling." Reason: "Punta ka sa US Embassy, tignan natin kung makakuha ka kaagad ng visa." He adds that if we are that good, then we could acquire visas immediately like Americans do when they secure visas to other countries. But hello, America is a superpower, and they have all the right to impose tight measures to prevent illegal immigrants. Mehikano nga na talagang kapitbahay nila, hirap makapasok ng US eh. Besides, when you are a superpower, acquiring visas is easiest to your favor.

Second, Filipinos "admire foreigners too much, proof that they do not trust their fellowmen's talent." Case in point: Azkals. It seems to him that the media put too much attention to the foreign-blooded players (sorry fans, this is my professor's opinion, I'm just echoing his words). Sadly, I think this is true (now this time the opinion is mine, you can rant to me to your liking); but I'd like to think that while they may have the skill, what made the hype for them is our insecurity towards white-skinned or coffee-skinned nationalities.

Third, he thinks that Bayani Fernando should have been the president of the country. Okay, this one I partly agree. Sure, he may be efficient in implementing laws, and has the political will to do so. But considering that majority of the country are the class D and E, I don't think he can make his powers known on a national basis. As we all know, back in Bayani's day as MMDA chairman, class D and E citizens see him as an enemy, if you know what I mean.

Fourth, he thinks that Ferdinand Marcos was the best president in history. Actually, he's not alone, or at least the only one I know who thinks the same. My dad, in particular, says the same. And I think if you're gonna ask the oldies who has been through this time, they might say the same. I mean, the economy was at its peak, the country is well-recognized in the international community and there was peace and order (ang nagagawa nga naman ng strictly-implemented curfew). But I think Marcos's pitfall was his desire to stay longer in his post. I'd like to think that that desire bred the greed in him, and being the smart person that he is (they say it, I don't), he made sure that the plan will pursue without anyone knowing what the hell was going on. So he blocked the opposition and the media. However, people at those times are not as dumb as they were during the colonial period. They already acquired ideologies of democracy (and probably communism), and they know that what Marcos is doing is not right. By the time he is already asserting his extreme power, the people are itching to put him out of his post.

Oh well. As I have learned in my college days, "everyone is entitled to their own opinion." However, there are those that are totally deviating to the norms of society, and we sometimes judge people according to their beliefs. I think that regardless of what we could say in a particular issue, we should all respect it and leave it as that, mere opinion. Unless, of course, it becomes the fact later on.

And by respect of opinion, I mean, "walang basagan ng trip."

No comments:

Post a Comment