Tuesday, January 1, 2013

You Can't Beat Self-Promotion (Repost)

This poem was posted by my good friend Apple of Yaya with a Vaio Laptop, which she got from Confessions of Shameless Self-Promoters by Debbie Allen. I found this poem motivational and was a good way to kick off 2013 with inspiration. Read on and be inspired. :)

******************************************************

You Can't Beat Self-Promotion


I built a better mousetrap.
It was so very fine,
I knew everyone would want one,
and the market would be mine.

My trap was eco-friendly,
and had benefits galore.
So I watched with baited breath,
for the world to find my door.

But alas, no path was beaten.
The buyers never came.
They knew not of my mousetrap,
and they did not know my name.

They knew not of its quality,
its benefit or price.
They didn't knew I guarantee
to rid their house of mice.

If you don't wish to sit alone,
in your field of dreams,
I'd recommend some action,
for me, here's how it seems:

If you want to sell a mousetrap,
you must tell the world about it.
You must advertise and merchandise,
and from the rooftops shout it.

I'd display it in the paper,
I'd send out lots of mail.
I'd show a list of benefits
to help me make the sale.

I'd flash it on my website,
I'd use radio and more,
I'd talk about it everywhere,
and watch my profits soar.

Don't expect the world to find you,
that's what I would advise.
If you want to sell a mousetrap,
it still pays to advertise.

But, you say, I do not have
a single trap to sell.
It's me I want to market,
not a mousetrap or a bell.

I want to sell my talents,
my abilities and skills.
I need to get a good price too,
so I can pay my bills.

So you want to sell yourself, you say
I understand, my friend.
I think I have the answer,
here's what I'd recommend.

You do not need an agent,
or some brewed up magic potion.
When "you" is what you're selling,
You can't beat self-promotion.

2 comments: